Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index Blueberry Hill Forum

CurlewPond.org FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone remember Blueberry Hill Softball Team?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fdunfey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Anyone remember Blueberry Hill Softball Team? Reply with quote

In 1960 (I think that was the year), I was the catcher of a Blueberry Hill softball team that played the Prison Team at their place.

Visiting the WEB site brought back a lot of memories. Us Dunfey's have been associated one way or another with Curlew Pond for over 55 years.

I knew Martha and Johnny McCarthy when we camped together on the state side all summer for a few years before Mrs Arthur decided to build Blueberry Hill to give us a place to come when the State decided not to let us camp all summer anymore. One year we camped stateside , the next we camped at Blueberry Hill.

I was actually a small "part" of construction crew. The only thing I remember doing was building one or more of the "toilet" houses.

Thought I would share a little from the past.

Does anyone know the names of the rascalls that were arrested and tried in Plymouth Court for singing, "Its time to get up in the morning on Blueberry Hill"?

A bunch of the Dunfey's were working at Hampton Beach at Dunfey's Restaurant (1962?), we finished work about midnight and drove in my convertible (9 of us) down to Blueberry Hill to drop off Kevin Dunfey for days. We got to my Mothers Campsite (#59?) about 4 am. My Mother even suggested we go for a swim before heading back. There was a small raft anchored off the beach in those days. Before you knew it, the beach was lined with upset and awoken campers including Mrs Arthur. "Fred, you should be ashamed...". Needless to say we climbed into our car to leave but left via the stateside campgrounds singing you guessed it. As we headed off towards Plymouth (dirt road then), we heard sirons blaring and pulled into a cranberry bog just as two state troppers flew past. We proceeded to arrive at Hampton Beach without incident, some of us to start our next workshift. We thought we had excaped.

That night while working a noon to 10 pm shift, My Father Vincent Dunfey called to say the State Forrest Warden wanted to see us at 10 Am the following morning. The rest of the story is about due process.

Billy, I hope I didn't embarrass you.

The Rascalls included Fred and Peter Dunfey, cousins Paul and Mike Dunfey, and two waiters who were seminary students.

Any other stories out there?
Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the softball team.My father in law played on it for a while. his name was Fred Cole/ wife was Emma. I married their daughter Patricia. Some of the other players were Joe Charpentier, Skinny Nichols,Ed Drew, George McPhee Bill Hammond.That whole gang came from Fearings Pond. Pat and I still camp there.As a matter of fact, My daughter Linda, and Her husband John McCathty Very Happy oun the campground now.Good to hear from you.
...............Jerry Tameo..............
Ann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Softball Reply with quote

I remember going to the prison and the prisoners made the kids piggy banks. The prisoners also picked up the trash when we were on the state side. Then we moved to Blueberry Hill. My dad, Al Nelson, played softball and probably the other men who camped along the field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: