Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index Blueberry Hill Forum

CurlewPond.org FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pizza ovens!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Pizza ovens! Reply with quote

This is an update on the pizza oven project.

For those who didn't attend the annual campers' meeting, or didn't hear about it otherwise, I'll bring you up to speed.

Over the winter, a few of us tossed around an idea. On the night of the bonfire, the association sends out for pizza. Lots and lots of pizza. Depending on how much we order on a particular year, we can spend as much as $700. So I was thinking that perhaps with a modest investment, we could kill several birds with one stone. Save money on pizza, get better and hotter pizza, and have a lot of fun along the way.

I suggested that we buy a small used (but professional) pizza oven on Ebay. Over the past few months, I'd seen several Bakers Pride dual-deck ovens for $200-$400. The cost of ingredients to make a pizza is less than two bucks. We brought up this idea at the campers' meeting, and it was well received. Money was appropriated, and I got down to business at Ebay. Fellow camper Kerry Dunfey works at Fedex and offered to handle the shipping, giving us her employee discount.

Three ovens came up for sale fairly quickly. One in Chicago bid very high ($430), so we passed on that one. Two others from a Pizzeria in Canada came up, and although I intended to bid on them, the bidding ended last weekend, and logistics prevented me from getting to an internet connection. This actually worked out in our favor.

As it happened, no one bid on EITHER of the ovens in Canada. I believe that this is because the owner simply called them "ovens", and most people searched on "pizza ovens". I contacted him, and he said that he'd be willing to sell both of them to us for $450. With shipping, this was a little more than we'd appropriated, but I spoke with some of the BBHCA officers (had to grease a few palms), and it was agreed that we could justify a little more.

Then we made an unpleasant discovery. The cost to ship one oven (110 lb) from Canada is $400. Even with Kerry's substantial discount, this was way more than we could afford. If the oven had been only 90 miles away in Buffalo, NY, the cost would be just $100. I emailed the Canadian pizzaria owner and told him that we would sadly only be able to take one of the ovens.

He replied and said he'd give us both of them for only $300! Even with the ludicrous shipping costs, this is within our budget.

We still have to arrange payment and shipping, but hopefully within a couple of weeks, we'll be able to start testing.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

I have information pertaining to the pizza boxes and "rounds" (the round cardboard inserts) available at Cirelli's.

16" boxes (for 50 of them) is $18.41
14" boxes (for 50 of them) is $16.04

12" rounds (for 250 of them) is $24.41 - these were the largest they had
pat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone actually still checks this forum, here's the latest on the pizza ovens.

They have arrived! Thanks again to Kerry Dunfey who picked them up at the Fedex terminal (no easy feat, at 110 lb each) and brought them to camp.

We were disturbed to discover that one of the ovens was in worse shape than anticipated. The door was off and one of the stone decks was broken into about a dozen pieces. Dan McCarthy spent some time and repaired the door. He also was able to reassemble the broken pieces, and it appears that it should function ok.

We fired up one of the ovens at Dan's campsite. It's slow to heat up, but it had no trouble getting up to 600 degrees - perfect pizza temperature. We made a few test pizzas (and drank a few test beers while sitting in front of a test campfire), and everyone agreed that they're ready for prime time.

On Sunday, we took the two ovens down under the tarp and turned them both on without bringing down the campground's electricity, so we should be good to go on bonfire night.
pat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the evening went pretty well, I thought. I'd like to thank the rest of the band who worked VERY hard all night when they could have been drinking pineapple juice in front of a nice fire.

Chip on cheese and sauce
Mike on dough logistics
Dan on the insertion peel
Ron on the extraction peel
Vic on the circular blade
Sue on the timer and bull whip
Dot on customer service ("No pizza for you!!!")

I have to apologize a little on the quality of the pizzas. It was due to the fact that although the ovens could get up to their max temperature of 600 degrees, they wouldn't stay there, and after a few pizzas, the temperature dropped a LOT. But everyone (the bonfire crowd) was very nice about it and had nothing but good things to say, and we all appreciated that.

I'll spend the winter trying to come up with a solution that will give us better pizza.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat wrote:
Well, the evening went pretty well, I thought. I'd like to thank the rest of the band who worked VERY hard all night when they could have been drinking pineapple juice in front of a nice fire.

Chip on cheese and sauce
Mike on dough logistics
Dan on the insertion peel
Ron on the extraction peel
Vic on the circular blade
Sue on the timer and bull whip
Dot on customer service ("No pizza for you!!!")

I have to apologize a little on the quality of the pizzas. It was due to the fact that although the ovens could get up to their max temperature of 600 degrees, they wouldn't stay there, and after a few pizzas, the temperature dropped a LOT. But everyone (the bonfire crowd) was very nice about it and had nothing but good things to say, and we all appreciated that.

I'll spend the winter trying to come up with a solution that will give us better pizza.

If you're spending the winter doing this, there will be NO excuse for it not being perfect! Laughing
brad wills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: pizza oven Reply with quote

Well I have an interesting thing to tell you all. I bought a used propane Blodgett pizza oven. We brought it home and I took it all apart and cleaned it and painted it and put the chrome all back on and fired it up! It runs great but I made lousy pizzas Friday night. Too tough and dry. But I'll keep trying. It holds 8-16" pizzas at once. I plan on mounting it on a trailer to lug it around, it weighs about 700 lbs. I'll bring it to the rec. area and i'll cook and you can make all the pizzas you want to make or subs or anything else your heart desires!!! I can't wait till spring. I'm going to camp tomorrow to get my stainless steel table to use in my garage to experiment with. I have the oven on caster wheels right now so i can move it to the middle of my floor in the garage to make pizzas. Brad
pat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great, Brad. Looking forward to your pizzas.
brad wills

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Pat your still the chef I'm only the baker!!!! This is a community effort!!! LOL!!!
pat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok. In your message, you said "I'll cook".
pat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, does your pizza oven have stone decks?
brad wills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat No they don't have stone decks. I thought that could be a problem. I am on the lookout for stone shelves. Any Ideas?? Brad
pat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibrament is supposed to make a pretty good stone.

http://www.bakingstone.com/commercial_stone.php
brad wills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Your right about fibrement stone and its expensive they want $525.00 for 2 sheets!! well I'll keep looking. Brad
brad wills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat I saw where you can use granite tiles also. Lets see I know about 100 people in the flooring business. I should be able to get a couple of boxes pretty cheap. My oven only goes to 550 degrees is that enough?? Am I the only one on here or am I not getting any messages?? thanks brad
pat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

550 should be fine if it can maintain it during the course of cooking several pizzas. The ones that we bought go up to 600 degrees, but they can't maintain that temperature for long. Toward the end of the night, I doubt they were much more than 400. I'd rather 550 all night than 600 for only two pizzas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: