Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index Blueberry Hill Forum

CurlewPond.org FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pizza ovens!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad wills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat We are getting much better at making pizza. We made a dozen Saturday night. Spinich and feta,pepperoni,sausage,roasted peppers,onion,muchroom,cheese, ham and pineapple, artichoke etc. They were good!!!! Its fun Now I'm looking for a commercial mixer?? LOL!!!!
brad wills

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Let me know when you make some dough and I'll bring the pizza oven down so we can make a test batch?? Only about 16-32 pizza's!! LOL
pat

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

I make a decent pizza dough, but the truth is that as hard as I try, I simply cannot make anything as good as what we buy at the Piantedosi bakery in Malden. I always have several frozen dough balls available.

How deep are the oven decks? That is, if you wanted to make a really large pizza, how big would it be?
brad wills

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat I put 4-16" upper and the same below. I think it will hold more though.
pat

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that wasn't really what I asked. Use a tape measure and measure the deck front to back.
brad wills

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32"
pat

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good.

The style of pizza that I've been working on for the past few years requires a stone on the bottom that can retain heat and transfer it to the crust. Metal decks don't do the same thing and will result in a soft (rather than crispy) crust. They're primarily used for pan pizzas (like your traditional greek "House of whatever" pizza).

One possible solution to get past this is to use a pizza screen. I tried this down at camp a couple years ago. I bought a 16" screen locally and we made pizzas at Chips on a makeshift oven that sat on his fireplace. The screen actually worked fairly well, but the pizzas tended to stick to the screen, making it difficult (and sometimes destructive) to peel them off.

One possible solution would be to buy an anodized screen that should resist the sticking, but they're not cheap, and could make for a pretty expensive experiment. However, a large bakery supply house has 20" screens on closeout. They've reduced the price from $28.00 to $1.89. Quite a whopping savings, even after you tack on shipping. We could buy four of them for $18 (including shipping).

http://www.instawares.com/hard-coat-anodized-pizza.amm-hc18720-clo-k.0.7.htm

We could use larger dough balls and make 20" pizzas, or we could simply make the same 16" pizzas and put them in the middle of the screen.

Another side benefit of using a screen is that you can build the pizza on the screen and put it in the oven without a peel.
brad wills

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat I have tried all pans and screens. Your right the screens work the best. If the screens are only $1.89 a piece I will buy 20. Thats cheap!!
I think my pizza oven is a deck oven. It works ok for pizza. It would be nice if I had another 100 degress. But it works. I know at work the guys are always asking when am I going to bring in more left over pizza? I have made different kinds of dough. But in a hurry I buy it from Bertucci's in Mansfield for $1.66 each and they rollit out and put as many as I want in the box. Plus they throw in a free order of rolls if you ask.
The top shelf in my oven is that diamond shape screen. I have cooked right in that too. I have 2 large piels. They work good. I need to buy a thing that puts all the holes in the dough before you load the pizza up.
pat

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wills wrote:
I need to buy a thing that puts all the holes in the dough before you load the pizza up.

A dough docker. They sell a lot of them at that same website I mentioned above.
brad wills

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the last 9 20" screens and a docker $70.00 includes shipping.
Be here in 3 days.
Chip

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for Pat and Brad's pizzaria to open up. Yummo!
pat

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder about the "last 9". They've had 9 left for a few months now. I just checked, and they still have 9 left. However, the inventory on the website might not be tied in with the shopping cart software. They might have to update it by hand at some point.
brad wills

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will see how these work out. Then get more if they have plenty.I would get some dough this weekend but I have to fix the flat on my trailer first. I get the number 10 cans of sauce at Cirelli's in Milleboro and 10 lbs. of cheese there too. Maybe we will make some the weekend after this one. I have to fly to Michigan the weekend after that one.
brad wills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: pizza Reply with quote

Pat I recieved the screens and the docker. I fixed my trailers flat. I will bring my oven down to camp June 13th. I will bring dough from Bertucci's and sauce and cheese from Cerelli's and we will try some pizzas. If anybody wants to bring special topping to put on a pizza just bring them down. I am going to do it at my campsite so we will have whatever we need to do the job seeing its the first time we are trying this. Anybody is sure welcome to participate if they would like. See ya at camp!! Brad
Chip

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice oven Brad. Quite the deal. Good job on the pizza as well. I think I am going to try the Bertucci's dough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: