Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index Blueberry Hill Forum

CurlewPond.org FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campers List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Deb, Kevin & Mariah:
I don't want anyone to take my opinion on this subject offensively. I know with the internet, sometimes it is hard to show inflections of voice, etc. and things can be taken the wrong way. So, I apologize in advance. First of all, I find the camper's list to be very useful. I use it all year long. Three weeks ago today, when notifying campers of Jeanne Dunfey's death, I had that list right beside me and called as many people as I could get a hold of. Had all the names not been on there, many people would have been left out. I even wish they had cell phone numbers on the campers list for emergency purposes. At some point I had copied down Deb Larsen's cell phone and was glad I had it. The day I got the call about Jeanne, I was able to call Deb on her cell down at camp and she was able to save me a trip to Plymouth to spread the word to the campers who were there that day. I was very appreciative that she was able to do that for me. (I just referred to it for the spelling of Deb's last name.) It is a great reference tool for setting up winter play dates. I wished that I had had the numbers for the new folks in the new section. Also, as a Travel Agent, I have found it extremely useful as well. People on the beach have asked me for travel information while at the beach. I have done my research and used that same list to get back in touch with them. When a travel deal has popped up that I knew someone to be interested in , I used those numbers to get a hold of them.

Let's face it, there is no organized method of collecting the dues payments. If you ask some campers, they haven't paid in years. No one has asked them. Being the obsessive compulsive person that I am, almost every year that no one has asked me for the money, I have tracked down Dot and given my dues to her. Come on, folks, 5 bucks. But, what I am hearing is that it is not about the money. Truly, I did not know there was a correlation between the campers list and the association. I thought Pat Traynor was in charge of it from the comments I heard last year when Deb Larsen volunteered to help out. I thought it was like a phone directory for our "neighborhood". I like the idea of it being sent by e-mail as long as it is secure. A lot of postage can be saved as well as paper and ink as Chip said. I did not know that the association even paid for these things. Quite frankly, I don't know what they pay for.

Is the association resposible for all the activity type things at BBH, ie, the "rec", basketball court, basketballs, field, badminton or volley ball, horseshoes, picnic tables (beach one on main beach actually looks unsafe)? What is the money being saved for? Is it to replace the wooden structure of the "rec" and the tarp or is the association just responsible for the tarp? I know someone who makes the tarps. She has done a lot of campers tarps at BBH if you are looking for someone to do that.

This year, I have found myself more in a position of volunteering than when my child was younger. I enjoyed doing the Memorial Day potluck and the International Dinner. As near as I know, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and no one was turned away from eating (at least that I saw). I would be embarrassed to turn someone away that was still hungry. We had a very good turnout for both events. I would like to volunteer myself to do the Memorial Day potluck again next year and do it the same as this year. Refer back to the notes on the website and we will post more in the spring. Granted, I have been at BBH for a lot less time than a lot of folks, but it seems that the communications is what a lot of the troubles are about. A lot of people, especially Chip, Deb and Sharon, to name a few work their butts off all summer to make the association fun and I think they deserve a round of applause. They do a great job but we all know, "You can't please all of the people all of the time...."! We are a tight knit bunch of people living in tight quarters. Undoubtedly, people are going to have their "tiffs", but get over it. Heck, you sneeze in a site and the people in the site 3 doors down blesses you. As we found out so recently, life is very short, enjoy it. Hopefully, the day of the Memorial Day potluck lots of people, especially strong ones, will show up to help put the tarp up. I think if more people communicated, like Brad did, the little problems could be fixed. Brad, I wasn't there for the bonfire, I would have let you have my pizza. You are always very generous, almost to a fault. I think that was you who gave up their day to do the tag sale, donated your goods and then donated your earnings at the sale to the association. You may not have given your 5 bucks, but the time, energy and effort was worth a lot more than that. Is there a reason the dues can't be collected at the same time as the rent payments in the spring? Write out 2 checks, one for 5 dollars and one for the rent. When John and Linda get them, they could separate the ones for the association and give those to Deb. May save a lot of grief and aggravation down the line. John and Linda wouldn't have to do any accounting of it, just collect it for Deb. I don't know, it just seems that everybody needs to play nice together and get along. n Are there anymore thoughts on having a campers meeting on Memorial Day weekend? A number of people that I talked to said it would get the activities started earlier and be more solidified by July 4. There were over 75 people at the Memorial Day potluck. I never am able any more to attend the July 4 campers meeting so I don't know how that goes. I heard it isn't very well attended compared to the number of sites that we have. Again, I hope I haven't offended anyone. n Hope everyone has a great, healthy winter and look forward to seeing everyone in the spring. If anyone has any travelling they want to do, let me know. I love to find the bargains for everyone. (Ps You can find me on the campers list - Debbie Jacobsen)n Also,an aside to the campers list. Can anyone tell me where the watches that were given out to the first place BBH athletes were purchased from? Or where I could find something similar? I know of a young red headed boy with chronic severe lung disease (You would never know to look at him.) who ran the equivalent of a real marathon at our land races who worked beyond his medical capabilities to try to win one of those watches and for obvious reasons, didn't stand a chance. (That kiddie marathon was probably the longest he was ever able to run in his entire life.) I would like to purchase one of those watches for him for his valiant efforts, but don't know where to get it. And a special thank you to Betty Clarke, who knows of this special child and understood the importance of positive recognition for doing "your best", and saw to it that he was at least recognized for his efforts with a ribbon. Thank you, Betty. Almost 2 weeks later and little Zachary is still sad that he wasn't able to win a watch. For children without Zach's medical problem, the watch probably seemed trivial. To Zachary, it was a "Rolex". Any help anyone can give me in locating it, would be greatly appreciated. They were kind of on a wristband thing. He stared at them until they were all gone.
Deb,n You make a very good point about how important the list can be. That point alone makes my idea a bad one.n n I would rather not involve John and Linda in the dealings of the association. I don't think a mailing will increase the collection rate. Most who don't pay don't want to pay. Again, that is fine if they don't want to participate.n n About the Memorial day meeting, I really don't think attendance will increase but we can look at it. I am usally busy most of the weekend but as it gets closer we can look at doing that. Also, we don't get many people at camp on the weekends during June due to school and other kids activities. And as we have stated in the past, you don't have to wait for the meeting to do an event. You proved that with the potluck supper.n n I also want to thank you for stepping up this year. You did a lot of work.
dkmjacobsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Thanks, Chip for the feedback. It is always nice to get a pat on the back. Though not necessary, it is nice and appreciated. Smile Hope to do even more next year. n I think if people seek out all of the methods of communication that are open to most of us, ie, posting at the entrance when heading in to BBH, the brown house postings and this website (which I find awesome), that a lot of confusion will be eliminated. n Chip, your idea was not a bad one at all about the campers list. It was an idea. That is a great reason for this forum. It is a method to get ideas out and discuss them. That is also a great way to find out the reasons something is useful or not useful. Nobody should put down anyone's ideas that are put on here. When talking about the camper's list I think you even asked for discussion. I just wanted you to know how useful I personally find it. I have probably referred to it 10 times in the past 2 days alone. n You are right about the food in that people shouldn't get their thirds and fourths til people have had their firsts. I assumed that was just common courtesy. One thing that would be helpful, especially on the food meals, is that people do their best to get there at the starting time or close to it so they are not disappointed by what is left or that the servers think they are done. Just a suggestion. I also know many times people have conflicts with work, etc. that makes it impossible to get there precisely on time. That is understandable. But if you are just hanging around your campsite and don't want to "be the first one there", do your best to get there close to the starting time. It seems that all of the food programs I saw this summer were ready to start right on time. They just needed people to start coming to the table. n People are asking me about my friend who does the tarps. Her name is Carol Klim. She works for Jim's Canvas in Rockland. Phone number is 781-871-8288.
dkmjacobsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

I just read the dollar amount that was collected. It obviously isn't one or two people who don't contribute to the dues. It looks like it is about 25% - 30% of the campers. Am I right on that or is my math way off base? I thought we had about 100 sites.n Of the approximately 25% -30% of the people who don't contribute who read this forum, can you take a few minutes and (nicely) say why. Maybe, some of the reasons can be fixed. n I think Glenn is right as well. Most associations do have yearly dues. And it is whether you use them or not. If it is a matter of collection of the dues, can anyone else come up with some suggestions for collecting it. The only reasonably priced way that I could think of was to have it go to John and Linda. Postage has gotten so expensive, the least amount of mailings that you have to do, the better. How about just a reminder note being included with the rent payment to send your $5 check to:_______________. I personally didn't know when I first came to BBH about the Association and whether it was mandatory or not (actually still don't know that part). But, I also felt such a part of BBH, that I would gladly contribute $5 to help out towards any activity that was put on and quite frankly I would contribute it "just because". I remember when the dues went to $10 for a couple of years to get the basketball court redone and the uproar that that caused. We were talking about 10 bucks, not 100. Chip proved how the expenses exceed the income. Another solution would be that great postcard that was sent out in the spring reminding people about the Memorial Day potluck etc. If there was something about dues on there, that might be helpful. Postcards are cheaper to send than letters. Combine enough information on there, then it makes the use worthwhile. n Who do I give my receipts to for the potlucks? Is it Deb or do they go to Chip first?n I am glad people are talking openly and freely about their concerns. Hopefully, we will have some resolutions before the next camping season.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

The association is strictly volentary and has nothing to do with John and Linda. It was started in the early days by the campers, for the campers. Adding a note to the association's postcard letting the new people know of the existance of the group is a good idea. Having John include a note would cause confusion and a lot of people would be including the dues with the rent.
Chip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Deb, n You can give your receipts right to Deb Leahy. It will be quicker. n Your numbers are close. We collected from about 70 of the 110 campsites. Membership is not mandatory. As I said we have plenty of people who want to do their own thing. I have no problem with that. I don't think they should get all the member benefits however. The vast majority of non-members don't partake in the activities anyway. Which is also fine.n n We do run at a deficit each year. This year we about broke even I believe. Bingo was huge this year. It really saved us. It was nice to see many of the new campers there. We are chipping away at the balance each year. Shirt sales are way down from years past. The Auction used to bring in a lot of money. n We were extremely lucky to have the new basketball court and hoops donated by the Wiik family and Arnold family in memory of Urho and Gene. That was what we were saving for. That's why we have a surplus. It won't last forever.
pat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

My $.02...n n I agree with Glenn. $5 is chump change. It's not enough to buy you a meal at Burger King. And as someone without any kids to take advantage of the children's activities, it's still the bargain of the century.n n I understand that there are some people who are hardly down at all and are difficult to track down to collect dues. I suppose it doesn't really make much sense to put much time into that. But people who make the conscious decision NOT to pay? I just don't understand that. To me, that takes a special kind of miserly.n n There are people who carry a TON of lumber from one end of the campground to the other so that I can sit in front of a great bonfire. And if that's not enough, free pizza is delivered to me!n n Week after week, volunteers put in many hours of their time so that I have some entertainment. And whether or not I'm available or interested, it's great that it's there and it's worth ten times what we spend on dues.
brad wills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

I am glad people are voicing there opinion,it will be helpful to everyone to understand how things work.I have an idea. If we can make a list of all the events we have had and the costs we can determine what the dues should be,or what we need to raise for each season.Maybe some years you can afford to do more and some years less.For instance when I ran 2 pig roasts it fed about 150 to 175 people.It cost around 1,000 dollars each.If I remember correctly you bought a 5 dollar ticket and the assoc. put in the balance.The carnival you said cost 700 dollars and how many people attended? etc.Maybe we could have a breakfast meeting at a restaurant in the winter and brainstorm for the upcoming season with 5 or 10 people and present it at the 4th of july meeting.Or we can meet at my house 10 or 20 people and we will just talk things over and I will feed everybody.Maybe things cost differentn for different age groups. I think we need to know the totals for the different activities.I think there have always seemed to be only about 75% of all the campers there on a good day.And it seems there is about 40 to 50% there most of the weekends.Well its good to read more and more input.
brad wills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

I just thought of something else.I don't know how many people at camp use this site either? Is it 25% or 50%?? But I think at would be a real good idea to have an accounting page.All the money in and all the money out.The more we put on this site the more people will be informed about whats going on etc.I did not realize how much different activities cost. Debbie I did not run the yard sale.Tom and Sue K. ran it.I just participated.It was fun.We didn't raise to much but it was fun having it.I hope more people put input.It will help open the lines of communication. I hope.
dkmjacobsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

No, I knew you didn't run the tag sale, Brad, but you put an awful lot into it by donating your goods, your time and your proceeds. Smile I think Tom and Sue did an awesome job making it all come together and organizing it. It brought in a lot of money for an afternoon. I know how much goes into getting ready for a simple potluck. What all of you folks did really took a lot of time and it is appreciated. A lot of thought went into it. I won, well, I mean Mariah won a Trapper Keeper which I have gotten lots of use out of for the Travel Agency stuff. The raffle prizes were pertinent to education, etc. It was great and it was great to win too!n Is there any kind of rule out there about having a simple yard sale at your site? There probably is, but, those that I asked didn't seem to know. I was thinking it might be fun to have a yard sale weekend providing any left over stuff goes back to the site or home and not in John and Linda's dumpster. I don't mean this as a fundraiser. I, for one, live in an area that is pretty remote and not condusive to having a yard sale. Seems many campers, every Saturday during the summer go yard saling. Why not do it on our own sites, not every weekend, just one. If there is a rule about this, just let me know. I have lots of stuff I would like to see someone else put to good use. Clutter, clutter everywhere!!!
brad wills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Deb nice question.We had a yard sale at camp one year. It was at whoever wanted to put stuff out.It was not a fundraiser. It was just something for people to do for a couple of hours one year. Someone thought it was a good idea to try and recycle stuff. It went well. I sold a lot of stuff. In fact I just got back with Marianne and we put up 20 yard sale signs.We are having a neighborhood yard sale tomorrow 8 to 1pm.A neighbor put it in the paper and I put the signs up.Its a dead end street so multi-family yard sales work out good. I'm glad your writing down your thoughts debbie.
brad wills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Oh one other thing.We should not ask John and Linda to do any work collecting dues.They are I'm sure very busy collecting the campsite fees.Plus they must be very busy with home and taking care of a campground.Never mind taking care of triplettes!! There good kids but I'm sure there a arm full. The campers association is for the campers enjoyment and therefore we should do the work. But they are always invited to anything we do.John and Linda have rules and rules are good.But they pretty much let us do whatever we want.When we had an RV at some campgrounds the owner was always riding around watching every move you make.I only saw John a couple of times all summer.I wish I could see him more but he's so busy I don't bother him.So I bother JP and Ray !!!! HA HA!!!!
Kevky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

I am glad the tone of this topic has changed. Smile n The points to remove names where valid and factual as well as the points made regarding the importance of a list. I do however remember when there was no list and people made do. The list is a convenience, not a necessity. We had telephone trees to get the word out. The dues just were, there were no questions regarding how the $ was spent or how it got allocated, we paid and relied on the officers to do what was best. n The events have always happened. I can not even image how much was spent on the Variety Shows or the Friday night dances. I am wondering what piece the association had in those events or did people just donate and call it a day. Not sure I was younger when those events took place and this grown-up stuff was of no interest to me, and to be truthful at times the grown-up stuff still holds no interest for me! Very Happy n Enjoy the weekend everyone!!
Krowe888@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

I am wondering, where does someone that paid their dues get a campers list? I would like one please if there are any extras. Thanks.
DebLeahy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Wow...Camps over for the season and I'll definatley have to start checking back at this site again b/c OBVIOUSLY I seriously was out of the loop on a hot conversation! hahaha!! Smile So for all you campers who talk about stepping up...THIS IS THE JOB FOR YOU!!! I don't want it! I gave it a try but its not the job for me! Smile It was very hard facing people with good and bad responses! So thats all I have to say on this whole topic!! n n I do however need to chime in on adding John & Linda to the mix...Not a good idea...its an association thing not an owners thing! I will however be adding this topic of discussion as the first line on the postcard mailing come the spring! So everyone will be aware...and then we can fight it out at the campers meeting! Smile
sharon s.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Smile Wink :p n n so i think that sums up what happened when i read thisn Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: