Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index Blueberry Hill Forum

CurlewPond.org FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campers List
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Campers List Reply with quote

Pat Traynor has made it easy to distribute the campers list via email using the addresses supplied on the campers list itself. It would be sent using the .bcc function which not allow virus attachment plus no one else will see the list.

This will also save the assn money for paper and ink.

Before I send it, I wanted to post it here for discussion.

Discuss. Smile
dlarsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

that sounds like a great idea it will make it a lot easier on everyone. thanks
Kevky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

That sound fine to me. Would it get edited via e-mail also or would that be when dues are collected? I just need the details. Wink
brad wills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

sounds good to me. i need an updated list. thanks for doing it.
Chip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

I'll give it another week or so for people to respond then I will send them out.
DebLeahy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Sounds good Chip! I don't think people will mind!!
Chip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen Arnold:n That sound fine to me. Would it get edited via e-mail also or would that be when dues are collected? I just need the details. Wink
It has been updated this year based on dues collections. There is a update link on the main page of the website as well. Any new updates will be for next year at this point.
Chip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Some of us had a brief discussion about excluding non-association members from the campers list. There is a growing number of campers that do not want to be included in the association or do not want to pay their dues. A lot of time and money is spent on compiling this list by the campers association and I feel it should be for the benefit of the members of the association. I am proposing that any non dues paying campers be excluded from the campers list in the future.

How do others feel about this. I will obviously bring it up at the campers meeting before a final decision is made.

Thanks for your input.
Kevky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

O.K. WOW didn't even realize this was an issue. I never took belonging as an option, I thought you camp at the hill, therefore you are part of the association. However, I guess times have changed. If people do not want to be part of the association, then it is not that much of stretch to remove them from the list. Should be interesting. Wink
Mark and Nancy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

I know alot of people that have paid those dues for many years and never attended hardly any of the functions so why should they get un-included in things like a list
brad wills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Chip shame on you for excluding people who camp to have a good time from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. You are our President you should find out why people arn't paying there dues. And its not dues its only 5 bucks.My Elks dues are 55 dollars a year and I do hardly anything with them.I didn't pay my 5 bucks because I personally think the campers association has enough money. In fact if the campers assoc. needed money I'd give 50 or 100 bucks.I have had my last run in up at the tarp with food. Marianne got groosed out because she asked for more whip cream at the ice cream social 2 years ago. You haven't seen her up there since.I got yelled at last year for taking a 3rd hot dog.This year I got yelled at for going for a 3rd piece of pizza. No more community meals for us. I would be ashamed to run a social and groose someone out for taking more food.I think all kinds of things should be done for the little kids by the people with little kids.I think things should be done for teenagers too. Like a music system up at the basketball court. And the people around the rec. area that have a problem with noise have to remember their a curfew on noise at 10pm during the week and 11pm on the weekends. their should be something for just the adults. Be it what ever they want. The dues should be spent ever year on that years functions.I thought we put a bunch of money aside for doing over the tarp?? I would'nt have bought a mosquito magnet. I use off.The people I've talked to think the meetings arn't friendly and If they bring something up it turns into an argument. If you want a friend you got to be a friend. You attract more ants with honey than vinegar. This is just my take on things. I do not want to start an association with those who are thrown out of this one. Like I've always said I'll go camping as long as its fun for us. When It's not fun I'll stop camping.So far It's a ball!!!! I can"t wait to hear Ray's response!! HA HA Brad Wills 26L
dkmjacobsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

I don't want anyone to take my opinion on this subject offensively. I know with the internet, sometimes it is hard to show inflections of voice, etc. and things can be taken the wrong way. So, I apologize in advance. First of all, I find the camper's list to be very useful. I use it all year long. Three weeks ago today, when notifying campers of Jeanne Dunfey's death, I had that list right beside me and called as many people as I could get a hold of. Had all the names not been on there, many people would have been left out. I even wish they had cell phone numbers on the campers list for emergency purposes. At some point I had copied down Deb Larsen's cell phone and was glad I had it. The day I got the call about Jeanne, I was able to call Deb on her cell down at camp and she was able to save me a trip to Plymouth to spread the word to the campers who were there that day. I was very appreciative that she was able to do that for me. (I just referred to it for the spelling of Deb's last name.) It is a great reference tool for setting up winter play dates. I wished that I had had the numbers for the new folks in the new section. Also, as a Travel Agent, I have found it extremely useful as well. People on the beach have asked me for travel information while at the beach. I have done my research and used that same list to get back in touch with them. When a travel deal has popped up that I knew someone to be interested in , I used those numbers to get a hold of them.

Let's face it, there is no organized method of collecting the dues payments. If you ask some campers, they haven't paid in years. No one has asked them. Being the obsessive compulsive person that I am, almost every year that no one has asked me for the money, I have tracked down Dot and given my dues to her. Come on, folks, 5 bucks. But, what I am hearing is that it is not about the money. Truly, I did not know there was a correlation between the campers list and the association. I thought Pat Traynor was in charge of it from the comments I heard last year when Deb Larsen volunteered to help out. I thought it was like a phone directory for our "neighborhood". I like the idea of it being sent by e-mail as long as it is secure. A lot of postage can be saved as well as paper and ink as Chip said. I did not know that the association even paid for these things. Quite frankly, I don't know what they pay for.

Is the association resposible for all the activity type things at BBH, ie, the "rec", basketball court, basketballs, field, badminton or volley ball, horseshoes, picnic tables (beach one on main beach actually looks unsafe)? What is the money being saved for? Is it to replace the wooden structure of the "rec" and the tarp or is the association just responsible for the tarp? I know someone who makes the tarps. She has done a lot of campers tarps at BBH if you are looking for someone to do that.

This year, I have found myself more in a position of volunteering than when my child was younger. I enjoyed doing the Memorial Day potluck and the International Dinner. As near as I know, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and no one was turned away from eating (at least that I saw). I would be embarrassed to turn someone away that was still hungry. We had a very good turnout for both events. I would like to volunteer myself to do the Memorial Day potluck again next year and do it the same as this year. Refer back to the notes on the website and we will post more in the spring. Granted, I have been at BBH for a lot less time than a lot of folks, but it seems that the communications is what a lot of the troubles are about. A lot of people, especially Chip, Deb and Sharon, to name a few work their butts off all summer to make the association fun and I think they deserve a round of applause. They do a great job but we all know, "You can't please all of the people all of the time...."! We are a tight knit bunch of people living in tight quarters. Undoubtedly, people are going to have their "tiffs", but get over it. Heck, you sneeze in a site and the people in the site 3 doors down blesses you. As we found out so recently, life is very short, enjoy it. Hopefully, the day of the Memorial Day potluck lots of people, especially strong ones, will show up to help put the tarp up. I think if more people communicated, like Brad did, the little problems could be fixed. Brad, I wasn't there for the bonfire, I would have let you have my pizza. You are always very generous, almost to a fault. I think that was you who gave up their day to do the tag sale, donated your goods and then donated your earnings at the sale to the association. You may not have given your 5 bucks, but the time, energy and effort was worth a lot more than that. Is there a reason the dues can't be collected at the same time as the rent payments in the spring? Write out 2 checks, one for 5 dollars and one for the rent. When John and Linda get them, they could separate the ones for the association and give those to Deb. May save a lot of grief and aggravation down the line. John and Linda wouldn't have to do any accounting of it, just collect it for Deb. I don't know, it just seems that everybody needs to play nice together and get along.

Are there anymore thoughts on having a campers meeting on Memorial Day weekend? A number of people that I talked to said it would get the activities started earlier and be more solidified by July 4. There were over 75 people at the Memorial Day potluck. I never am able any more to attend the July 4 campers meeting so I don't know how that goes. I heard it isn't very well attended compared to the number of sites that we have. Again, I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Hope everyone has a great, healthy winter and look forward to seeing everyone in the spring. If anyone has any travelling they want to do, let me know. I love to find the bargains for everyone. (Ps You can find me on the campers list - Debbie Jacobsen)n Also,an aside to the campers list. Can anyone tell me where the watches that were given out to the first place BBH athletes were purchased from? Or where I could find something similar? I know of a young red headed boy with chronic severe lung disease (You would never know to look at him.) who ran the equivalent of a real marathon at our land races who worked beyond his medical capabilities to try to win one of those watches and for obvious reasons, didn't stand a chance. (That kiddie marathon was probably the longest he was ever able to run in his entire life.) I would like to purchase one of those watches for him for his valiant efforts, but don't know where to get it. And a special thank you to Betty Clarke, who knows of this special child and understood the importance of positive recognition for doing "your best", and saw to it that he was at least recognized for his efforts with a ribbon. Thank you, Betty. Almost 2 weeks later and little Zachary is still sad that he wasn't able to win a watch. For children without Zach's medical problem, the watch probably seemed trivial. To Zachary, it was a "Rolex". Any help anyone can give me in locating it, would be greatly appreciated. They were kind of on a wristband thing. He stared at them until they were all gone.
Kevky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

It's Glenn,

Are you kidding me?

Refusing to pay $5 because volunteers wanted to make sure that their was enugh food for everybody? Wow.

The assosiation has enough money? So let everyone else pay except me. That's ridiculous. Associations with members have yearly dues that get paid without question. I guess the totals should not be public information then.
Chip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy S:n I know alot of people that have paid those dues for many years and never attended hardly any of the functions so why should they get un-included in things like a list
I never said to uninclude anyone that has paid their dues. There are many people that want to do their own thing which is fine. They enjoy the solitude of their campsite and maybe a few neighbors which is all good. If they don't want to be a part of the association that is fine as well.

If the association wishes to include non-members on the campers list we can certainly do that.
Chip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Campers List Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by bwills:n Chip shame on you for excluding people who camp to have a good time from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. You are our President you should find out why people arn't paying there dues. And its not dues its only 5 bucks.My Elks dues are 55 dollars a year and I do hardly anything with them.I didn't pay my 5 bucks because I personally think the campers association has enough money. In fact if the campers assoc. needed money I'd give 50 or 100 bucks.I have had my last run in up at the tarp with food. Marianne got groosed out because she asked for more whip cream at the ice cream social 2 years ago. You haven't seen her up there since.I got yelled at last year for taking a 3rd hot dog.This year I got yelled at for going for a 3rd piece of pizza. No more community meals for us. I would be ashamed to run a social and groose someone out for taking more food.I think all kinds of things should be done for the little kids by the people with little kids.I think things should be done for teenagers too. Like a music system up at the basketball court. And the people around the rec. area that have a problem with noise have to remember their a curfew on noise at 10pm during the week and 11pm on the weekends. their should be something for just the adults. Be it what ever they want. The dues should be spent ever year on that years functions.I thought we put a bunch of money aside for doing over the tarp?? I would'nt have bought a mosquito magnet. I use off.The people I've talked to think the meetings arn't friendly and If they bring something up it turns into an argument. If you want a friend you got to be a friend. You attract more ants with honey than vinegar. This is just my take on things. I do not want to start an association with those who are thrown out of this one. Like I've always said I'll go camping as long as its fun for us. When It's not fun I'll stop camping.So far It's a ball!!!! I can"t wait to hear Ray's response!! HA HA Brad Wills 26L

Brad,
I knew I could count on you for some feedback. Smile

First of all, we know why most of the non-payers do not want to be included. There are those that want to come down and do their own thing at their site, usually couples without kids or with older kids. There are also the people that never or rarely come down. They are hard to track down. There is also a group that are just too cheap and avoid the collectors at all costs. Luckily this is a small group. I suppose there are others that refuse to for personal reasons.

As to your dealings under the tarp, I can only speak to the hot dog lunch. We ran short and I wanted to ensure first timers went through before 3rds and 4ths were given. I did apologize for my over reaction that day. When people volunteer for food events they don't always ask about volumes. When asked I generally tell them to get extra to make sure everyone is taken care of.

We differ in opinion as to how the dues money should be spent. Call it philosophical differences. I agree with you about the mosquito magnet. The people wanted it so we got it. This years dues didn't cover the magnet expense. Dues doesn't go very far. We collected about $350 this year. The hot dog lunch was about $285, the pizza was about $200. The carnival last year was about $700. You get the point.

No one is being excluded or thrown out.

Shame on me? I don't think so. I am a VOLUNTEER just trying to do what's best for all the campers. This is not my full time job. Communication is a 2-way street. We have been trying to be more open and available but I will not be going door to door soliciting feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blueberry Hill Forum Forum Index -> Blueberry Hill All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: